Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Get a Candle on Crime (Glenmyre Whim Mystery 4), by Sarah E. Burr

πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„

It's Christmastime in Crucible! Since the moment I read the jaw-dropping last sentence in the third installment in the Glenmyre Whim Mysteries, Flying off the Candle, I've been waiting for book 4. The cliffhanger and the fact that this is my favorite series written by Sarah E. Burr left me wanting more. So of course I jumped at the chance to read an eARC.

Book 4, Get a Candle on Crime, begins in the midst of a widespread power outage in Crucible. To bring a little light into their lives, the town's residents are flocking to A Wick in Time, the candle store owned by Hazel and her aunt Poppy. Unfortunately, things turn deadly when a body is found behind their store and one of their handmade candles is the murder weapon. Hazel and Poppy are determined to get to the bottom of this murder investigation where they uncover secrets and a scandal they didn't see coming.

This book makes one ponder the question, "What if...?" I'm not going to go into exactly what happened at end of the previous book because I don't want to share spoilers, but I will say it changes the way the Glenmyre Girls must proceed with this investigation and with their lives. I was a little concerned about how much I was going to enjoy this new (and possibly temporary) direction, but I ended up appreciating it in a way I never have before in a cozy mystery. It caused me to reflect on my own life and ask "What if..."

The mystery is strong in every way. There are several viable suspects with motives. There was misdirection and red herrings that made it a fun mystery to try and untangle. In the end, I was surprised at the whodunnit, yet, in retrospect, all the clues were there. I figured it out right about the same time Hazel did. Even after Hazel and I figured it, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out how they were going to address the culprit. 

I also loved how the themes of the series played roles in the mystery. All I'm going to say is that it covered both themes of the candle shop and the Glenmyre Whims. I really appreciate when the overall theme of a cozy mystery series is part of the mystery.

In this installment, we meet the suspects, but we're also reunited with the main cast of characters. There are also some supporting characters that I love to see. One thing you can be sure of in any book that Sarah E. Burr writes is that everyone will feel welcome. The worlds she creates are diverse and accessible. Most personal to me in this series, and specifically in Get a Candle on Crime, is Holly. Holly is a wheelchair user who works at the police department and she has children. She is disabled and she's just going about her life with everyone else in Crucible. Often in books, disabled characters are elderly, which is fine, or they're ill. It's refreshing to see someone like Holly who is healthy, younger, working a day job, and being a mom. She represents so many of my friends. I don't want to downplay the struggles that the disabled community experiences, because that is real, but we also live our lives. 

Since the detective, Holden, is related to the Glenmyre girls, he has a unique relationship with them. He is concerned about their well-being, but he also discreetly does what he can to help them with their part in the investigation.

Just like there is just a touch of paranormal, there is also just a touch of romance in this installment. I like the way things are progressing for the main characters. One of the Glenmyre girls faces some unique challenges in this installment. It was refreshing to see the way she navigates through them and how her loved ones support and encourage her.

As I mentioned earlier, this book is set around Christmastime, and the festive atmosphere is captured perfectly. The merry mood is well-balanced with the challenges of the season, too, with the power outage and the weather. If you enjoy Christmas-themed cozies, you will enjoy the festivities happening around Crucible.

I'm glad to see there will be a fifth installment in this series. There's so much more to uncover regarding the Glenmyre girls. There are certain issues that are unresolved. While not every issue needs to be tied up in a neat bow, I would like to see them addressed in future installments. The Glenmyre Opus is very briefly referenced at the end of this book. I want to know what's inside! 

If you haven't read any previous books in this series, you won't feel lost if you jump in here. Sarah E. Burr does a great job of catching us up on everything without spending too much time on their history. And as with most cozy mysteries, this is a self-contained mystery that is solved at the end of the book.
 
However, there are events leading up to this book, so if you don't want spoilers and if you want to follow the character development, I recommend starting with book 1, You Can't Candle the Truth, and reading the series in order.

Thank you to Booksprout and author Sarah E. Burr for providing me with an eARC of this book.

2 comments:

  1. This is so lovely, Meezan! I’m so happy you enjoyed your time with Hazel & Poppy!! Thank you for being a reader and for sharing your kind words with others. Stay bookish, Sarah B. πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Caboodle of Cozies. I love reading comments from my readers! In order to prevent spam, all comments are moderated and I try to publish them within 24 hours of when they are submitted.