Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Flimflam Fairy (Magical Bookstore 1), by Elizabeth Pantley

πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„

I recently finally dove into Elizabeth Pantley's Magical Cozy Mystery series. I knew that a companion series would be released soon and I wanted to familiarize myself with the concept. After reading just two (for now) books in the Magical Cozy Mystery series, I knew I wanted to read the new companion series.

In Flimflam Fairy, the first installment in the Magical Cozy Mystery Bookstore series, we meet two 60 something retired besties, Willa and Lucy, who are ready for a new adventure. They throw a dart at a map and it lands on an unfamiliar town where one thing leads to another They end up moving there and acquiring a magical bookstore. As owners of the bookstore, they must enter cozy mysteries and become characters in the books. Just like in the original series, the mystery must be solved before they can get out of the story and return home. If the book is a good one, they recommend it to the magical library we have come to know and love in the previous series.

The first book Willa and Lucy, along with Banjo the talking cat, enter is a fairy world. They find out one of the most beloved fairies in the town has met an untimely death. Willa, Lucy, and Banjo embark on a mission to bring the killer to justice.

This book has all of the ingredients I love in cozy mysteries. Willa and Lucy have very different personalities, each complementing the other. Banjo adds a charming layer to the fun. I also enjoyed meeting the fairy residents in the fictional fairy world of Whisperglow.

The setting truly felt magical. I could imagine myself in this enchanted world. The vivid descriptions put me right in the story and made me feel as though I was there. The new house belonging to the besties traveled with them, much like in the previous series, but it took on the characteristics of a fairy home. 

The mystery was one of the most engaging ones I've ever read in a cozy. I love a good twist and this book masters this in a unique way. It kept me turning the pages and never wanting to put the book down. The journey felt like an amusement park ride, and the whodunnit was cleverly-crafted. Towards the end, I started to suspect what was happening, but I was still interested in seeing how it would all unfold. 

If you want to be whisked away for a while to solve a twisty and charming whodunnit, I highly recommend picking up Flimflam Fairy, by Elizabeth Pantley. The strong writing will at times make you pause and reflect, and the story itself will keep you engaged. Even if you haven't read the previous serious, I'm confident you won't feel lost at all in this book. And if you have enjoyed the previous series, you will feel right at home with the new one.

Many thanks to author Elizabeth Pantley for a free eARC of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Caboodle of Cozies. I love reading comments from my readers! In order to prevent spam, all comments are moderated and I try to publish them within 24 hours of when they are submitted.