πππππ
Violet has just inherited a Victorian inn from the great aunt she didn't know she had. Looking for a fresh start, Violet moves to the cozy town she's never heard of. It isn't long before she finds a dead body in the inn and she soon learns this is just one in a string of murders. Is there a serial killer on the loose are these all coincidental murders? Violet sets out to learn the truth and bring the killer or killers to justice.
Welcome to Cozy Town: An Absurdly Cozy Mystery Short, by Marla Cooper, is a hilarious short story that is a must-read for all fans of cozy mysteries. It's like a love letter to the genre as it incorporates and pokes fun at every cozy mystery trope imaginable. I finished it in one hour, and I tend to be a slow reader, so it's a fairly quick read and one that will be well worth your time. I smiled from beginning to end and laughed out loud several times.
It includes a lot of characters that are understandably not as developed as they could be. It is, after all, a short story, and the point is to highlight the genre as a whole. I would love to see some of these characters in future stories. They were a joy to get to know for the short time I spent with them. There are also not one, but two cozy companions in this short, satisfying both cat and dog lovers alike. For fans of paranormal cozies, there's even a ghost, and if you like magic and whimsy, well there's a bit of that too. And yes, there's also a bit of romance.
The mystery is cleverly-crafted and fast-paced. Not a single sleuthing moment is wasted. There were several viable suspects and I did not see the whodunnit coming at all. The hilarious way it wrapped up was a twist unlike no other.
As is evident from the cover, the title, and the descriptions in the story, the setting is quite cozy. The inn does have steps, so I'm not sure as a disabled person I could get in too easily. It isn't surprising that an old Victorian inn has steps, but I would love for it to be possible for me to visit.
Of course, food is a central part of a lot of cozies and it is incorporated into this one as well. While I wouldn't say this is a culinary cozy, there is some talk about food and it comes complete with a recipe at the end. It looks simple enough that I might try it sometime.
Cozy mystery fans, do yourself a favor and take time to escape into Welcome to Cozy Town: An Absurdly Cozy Mystery Short, by Marla Cooper. It's a standalone cozy mystery that I'm confident you'll enjoy.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting Caboodle of Cozies. I love reading comments from my readers! In order to prevent spam, all comments are moderated and I try to publish them within 24 hours of when they are submitted.