Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Shifting and Shenanigans (Magical Mystery Book Club 1), by Elizabeth Pantley

πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„

I have had Elizabeth Pantley's Magical Mystery Book Club series on my TBR ever since the first book was published a few years ago. In fact, I have had most of the series in my Kindle library for a while. When I found out she would soon be publishing a spin-off series, I decided it's time to dive in.

Shifting and Shenanigans introduces us to Paige and her Aunt Glo who have just inherited the Snapdragon Inn from Paige's great aunt GeeGee. Now that Paige and Glo own the inn, they finally have access to a secret library that GeeGee kept locked. This was where GeeGee held her book club meetings. But these weren't just any book club meetings. These were magical book clubs in that the members were transported into the books. In order for book club members get back home, the mystery had be solved. 

But Paige and Glo don't know about this until it happens to them. It isn't long before the newly formed eclectic eight-member book club is transported into their first cozy mystery, along with Frank the sassy talking siamese cat. Frank and one other member have already been a part of the book club, but of course why ruin the surprise for everyone else? They don't tell the other members that they will be transported until it actually happens. Along the way, they do reassure the other members, but since every book is different, they don't know exactly how everything will turn out. No one knows how everything will unfold because the book is being written as the book club members are experiencing it.

I had high hopes for this book and it exceeded my expectations. For me, the characters are important in getting me hooked on a story. I want to feel like I can be friends with them. Especially if it's a series, I need to have the desire to spend time with them. That was no problem here! This is a diverse group of people, all from different types of backgrounds, all with different personalities, and all bringing something unique to the club. There is also a wide range of ages. Even within this first book, I can already see growth in them. They are learning to work with each other and they are all showing growth within themselves as well. Frank, the cat, is also an important character. He provides both guidance and comedy. Although he speaks like a human, he also has typical cat tendencies, like randomly licking his paw. The entire group is chaotic in the most charming way.

Of course, with this being a cozy, we have to talk about the mystery. It was well-crafted with plenty of suspects to consider. The victim was not liked by anyone so really, anyone could have committed the crime. There was a bit of a twist close to the end that I didn't see coming (though in retrospect, I should have), which explain the circumstances of the victim's death. It was quite clever and entertaining. I did not figure out the whodunnit. Perhaps a few more "breadcrumbs" might have helped, but at the same time, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out how it would all unfold. And I loved the way the mystery wrapped up. It was different that anything I've read in a cozy mystery.

Apart from the mystery, there was a romantic subplot that I was genuinely curious how it was going to unfold. Remember, this is not your average cozy mystery. The characters are in the book...until the mystery is solved. Then what happens? What if they get attached to people in the book's town? You'll have to read this book to find out. It may or may not have brought tears to my eyes.

The setting at the Snapdragon Inn is cozy and charming. My one question about it, though, is regarding accessibility. Is it accessible for those with mobility impairments? I would love to visualize myself at the Inn, but it's difficult to do with all the talk of stairs. Unless there's another way to get there, I would struggle to get down to the library. Perhaps in future installments, we'll find out that maybe there's a chair lift that attaches to the railing that could take people like me down there.

Since the club members will experience a different book each time, the setting for the mystery will always change. There is a strong sense of community in Shifting and Shenanigans, which I loved. The people there are loveable and I'd want to visit. The only problem is, I wouldn't want to leave when it was time to say goodbye.

There are currently 11 books in the Magical Mystery Book Club series, with the 11th one just having been published recently. As I mentioned earlier, a spinoff series has also begun.  I have plans to read all of these. If you enjoy clean, light-hearted cozy mysteries with a bit of magic in them, I highly recommend Shifting and Shenanigans, by Elizabeth Pantley. I'm confident you'll be glad you joined the book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Caboodle of Cozies. I love reading comments from my readers! In order to prevent spam, all comments are moderated and I try to publish them within 24 hours of when they are submitted.